|Fig.1 Stove top parts|
Supplies and Tools:
Asm burner cap (PS954202)
Burner head - medium (PS1020327)
Burner igniter switch assembly (WB18T10339)
Double burner grate (PS955123)
Double burner grate foot (PS955123)
Electrode top burner spark (PS952858)
Gas knob (PS952206)
Gas knob seal control (PS952314)
Grate foot (PS2353327)
Harness wire burner (PS1993848)
Spark module (PS952864)
Spark module screw (PS952864)
I had been cooking for years on my General Electric stove top range. Then I started to notice that the tip of the gas flame were orange.
This post shows the four steps taken to correct the orange flame on the General Electric stove top range.
Step 1: Fig.1 shows the General Electric Stove Top Range parts being removed for cleaning. This cleaning was done because the gas flame had yellow tip gas flames. Fig.2 shows stove top range has orange gas tips. If your stove has orange tipped flames click here.
|Fig.2 Top View|
- Fig.3 shows a double grate burner (PS955123). When cleaned make sure all the rubber feet are still on the grate. Dishwasher safe.
|Fig.3 Grey double grate|
- Fig.4 shows next inspect both the double burner grate foot (PS955123) to make sure that each grate foot is on the grate. A missing grate foot could explain uneven cooking. The range tips are rubber. There should be 4 tips per grate and two grate per stove top for a total of 8 rubber tips. Dishwasher safe.
|Fig.4 Double Burner Grate Foot|
- Fig.5 shows the round gray flat piece of solid metal is the first part of the assembly and is called a ASM Burner Cap (9500) its job is to deflect the flames into a nice round circle. Dishwasher safe.
- Burner Head - Medium (PS1020327) and inspect it to see if any metal fatigue, or cracks have formed on the burner head. Dishwasher safe. Fig.6 and Fig.7 shows there are two sizes of burner heads on this model. The large Burner - Large - 12000 BTU (PS1019441). Repeat step 4 to make sure it is safe. This part places the gas in a circle and give the gas tips an even flame. Dishwasher safe.
|Fig.6 Large Burner Top|
|Fig.7 Large Burner bottom|
- Fig.8 shows the Gas Knob from the D-shaped shaft metal shaft. Check each knob individually (PS952206). The knob (white or black) are usually on the right side of the stove rage. The knobs allow the gas to be increased from 1 to 10. The knobs job is turn of the gas igniter to flame up the gas for cooking. The gas knob clip - Black (PS952314) (located underneath stainless maintop). is a seal control. Dishwasher safe.
|Fig.8 Large Knob|
- Fig.9 shows all the parts in dishwasher with your regular dishwasher soap, we use tablets. Run it through a normal wash cycle and let them dry in the dishwasher before installing them on the stove.
|Fig.9 Grates Cleaned |
- The black seal (PS952314) is on the stove stop beneath the black knob.
- This part can not be cleaned into the dishwasher.
- The seal will get damaged.
- Fig.10 shows the black seal has been removed for cleaning.
- Fig.11 shows the seal was returned afterward to its spot on the stove top range.
|Fig.10 Black seal cleaning|
|Fig.11 Seal returned|
The Spark Module (PS952864) can not be seen because it below the stainless steel stove top. The Top Burner Spark Electrode (PS952858) create a spark to the bottom of the burner cap. If the gas igniter did not glows the gas will not light. The igniter can be cleaned around the top of the stove only. Its the white dot on the right side. After cleaning try the igniter if it still does not start let the igniter dry with a hair blower to remove any moisture within it. The white piece is the Surface Burner Igniter Switch Assembly Harness (PS1993848) replacement part (WB18T10339) is for cook tops is located underneath the stainless steel range top.
- Fig.12 there are three stainless screws per burner. These also should not be cleaned in the dishwasher they are to small and will bet lost. 6-32 CA OVT-15 5/8 (PS1480660).
|Fig.12 Igniter stainless screw|
- The Harness Wire Burner (PS1993848) also located underneath stainless maintop.
- The Burner tube (WB28T10131), located underneath stainless maintop.
- The Range wire harness (WB18T10407), is located underneath stainless maintop and connects electrical components to circuits in the range.
- The Gas valve (WB19T10053) is located underneath stainless maintop.
- There are two sizes of Ckt Valve bracket Large (WB02K10079) is located underneath each burner and its under the stainless maintop.
- The Maintop Stainless Steel Gas Stove Top Range (PS1017305).
- Please click here for more diagrams from PartSelect.
- After all the pieces that could be washed inside the dishwasher. All the parts were scrubbed using a vinyl brush to remove the soot under each piece. Below the burner is being scrubbed of grease. Fig.13 and fig.14 shows that my General Electric Gas Stove Top Range Model # JGP330SEK2SS has BLUE tipped flames. Job finished.
|Fig.13 Blue tipped flames|
|Fig.14 Blue tipped flames|
- GE Counter Unit Gas Manual JGP330.
- Orange flame on LP gas stove. Excellent video explaining what how he solved the orange flames in his LP gas stove.
- Why are the flames on my range yellow? By Chris Inch
- How range works: Good information on how it works.
- Appliance 411 Information: Frequently Asked Questions. Good explanation of what and how a gas flame should look like.
- Gas stove - Orange flame?
- Orange flames on gas stove top?
Update: DIY Advisor has New blogs check them today:
- Handyman Blog: DIY Advisor
- DIY Advisor Sitemap
- Food Blog: From Kiwis To Pistachios
- Food Blog Sitemap
- Tool Blog: DIY Advisor Toolbox
- Tool Blog Sitemap
- Artwork Blog: Light in Dark Artwork
- Artwork Blog Sitemap
- Class-A Tests: DIY Class-A Drivers License Tests
- Class-A Tests Sitemap: Class-A Sitemap
- DIY Poem: DIY Poem Meter Blog
- DIY Poem Sitemap: DIY Sitemap
Note: The DIY Advisor assumes no liability for omissions, errors or the outcome of any jobs. The reader must always exercise reasonable caution, follow current codes and regulations that may apply, and is urged to consult with a licensed contractor if in doubt about any steps on these posts. All names were changed to protect client's privacy. DIY Advisor. Reproduction of site content including photos without permission prohibited. All rights reserved. © Copyright 2011-